Thursday 17 November 2011

Honeymoon 09/05/2011-23/05/2011 - On the way...

After the Sunday where we had lunch with everyone, we packed and got a taxi taking us to the train station of Perpignan. There, we took an overnight train leaving at 10.10pm and arriving at Paris Austerlitz at 7.28am. We were in a first class cabin, so we slept with 4 people instead of 6 in other compartments. The night was fine! I was surprised that we could sleep that well in a train. We were in Car 26, place 022 and 021 on the bottom of each side of the cabin.

Due to arrive at 7.28am, I got up around 7am to have some time to get ready to leave. Suddenly, I realised that there were trees all around the train and fields (something that doesn’t exist in the surrounding of Paris). I tried to get some information to know where we were. Someone told me that the train had 2 hours delay. The flight was due to take off at 11.30am, which meant that we had to arrive before 10.30 or we couldn’t check-in!

We arrived at 9.30am at the train station with 1 hour left to queue for a taxi and get to the airport in less than 1 hour on a Monday morning! (It usually takes about an hour and a half in “normal” traffic). We really thought that we wouldn’t make it but tried to go anyway.

We went to queue for a taxi; only two girls together were in front of us. I thought that I would ask if we could go upfront because we were going to miss our flight. The only answer I got was: “Sorry, but we have appointments to go too.” => Rubbish selfish French girls!

After waiting for our turn the taxi finally came, even the taxi driver thought that we wouldn’t make it! By some miracle, the traffic panels indicated that the roads were all cleared and there were absolutely no traffic at all. We managed to arrive at the airport 10 minutes before the closing of the check-in.

We didn’t have to wait very long before boarding. I usually like to do that for normal flights, but for once I would have been happy to wait for hours at the airport...rushing wasn’t quite my idea of a perfect beginning for the start of a honeymoon! I was very happy and relieved to be in the plane knowing that for the next 24 hours I will not have to run everywhere, have to remember anything or taking care of anyone! Just relax!

1 Comments:

At 5 December 2011 at 21:14 , Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Ugh! What a nasty start. And how lucky the traffic was clear.

Great idea to do this. It's easy to forget this stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home